Wednesday, April 15, 2015

What Life in a Van Has Taught Me


I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-- Henry David Thoreau


This morning I left Patrick Point State Park and am on the road to Jedidiah Smith Redwood Park near the boarder of California and Oregon (with a stop at Starbucks in Crescent City as well for a needed dose of caffeine, sugar, and Internet).  I’ve met several people along the way, both on the road and in campgrounds, and multiple people have commented on my van.  “That looks like the perfect traveling vehicle!” a couple told me this morning as I stopped at the Trees of Mystery to snap a few pictures of the goofy Paul Bunyan statue. 
My fridge and microwave
Last night at the campground, the park ranger stopped by my spot and commented “What a great little vehicle!”    People are always curious about the inside as well, and I’m always more than happy to give them the whole 45-second tour.  So for today, I thought I'd give everyone a little peek inside my van, and tell you what discoveries I've made inside it's confines.
 
The folks at Roadtrek really did a good job of laying it out with all the necessities.  It is compact, yet roomy, and provides everything needed for comfortable living: a bathroom, a cook top, a convection microwave oven, a refrigerator, a large comfortable bed, a television and ample storage. 
What a comfy bed!
While it obviously is not as extensive as a house, it is indeed cozy and more than adequate for my needs.  It is small enough to be compact, yet large enough that I have room to move and space to think.  In the scant 9 days that I’ve been living in it so far, I’ve actually learned a little bit about living comfortably.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that I really don’t need as much “stuff” as I thought in order to be comfortable (although I was wrong about the number of blankets!).  Having limited storage space available has made me consider what I need to have, rather than what I might need to have.  I started out this trip by making gratuitous use of my Amazon Prime membership, and picked up a lot of items that I thought I might need, but which now I’m finding I can actually do without:  the collapsible bucket which I thought I might need in order to do laundry (I just have been wearing the same underwear for 8 nights now!), an extra water filter, 25’ of rope, an extra hose, a cordless vacuum cleaner, Tupperware bowls, and a few other odds and ends.  While I am by no means over-packed, I am indeed finding that my needs can be met with far less than I had anticipated.  And what I’m discovering, is that if I truly do need something that I don’t have, there are plenty of stores available where they are more than happy to sell me almost everything I require and more.  This applies to food, as well as things.  With only a small refrigerator and limited shelf space, I have been more careful at the grocery store, and have resisted the urge to “stock up” on items.  

It’s not just the limited space in the van that has affected how I live, but the limit on resources as well, has affected my daily life.  In my van, everything runs on battery power, propane, or gas in the engine, so I’ve become much more conservative on how I spend that capital as well. 
Isn't that a spacious kitchen?
  
Dishes get washed without the water running constantly; the sink only gets rinsed at the very end of brushing my teeth; lights are only used when and where needed; the heater is used when a sweatshirt isn’t enough.  It sounds restrictive, but that’s the funny thing—it really isn’t.  I don’t feel like I’m short-changing myself or skimping.  I’ve simply reduced down to using what is necessary, rather than using excess. 

The third thing I’ve discovered is that it is pretty much necessary to put things back in their place as soon as their utility has been served. There really isn’t room to spread everything out, and the random small spaces fill up quickly.  Dishes get put away after they are washed; towels get hung; clothes get folded and picked up off the floor (I know that Jobie won’t believe me on that one).  But there is also another benefit to this:  my living space stays cleaner and in order, and I’ve found that it makes it feel much more relaxing and less chaotic.   It helps set my mind at ease and makes the days more enjoyable. 

Finally, even though the space is small, by making adjustments in how much “stuff” I have, how I use it, and how I consume it, I’ve been amazed at just how little space I really need in order to be comfortable.  When I first started this venture, I researched several different vehicles.  I knew that I didn’t want a large, boxy RV because I wanted something easy to drive, but I also was concerned that living in the small constraints of a van.  As I narrowed down my choices, it came between two particular vehicles:  the 21’ Roadtrek van that I’m in now, which is modified to be a little wider and a little longer than a typical van, and a 19’ Roadtrek version which is not extended or widened. 
I don't even have a TV at home, but got one in my van!
I ended up selecting the slightly larger one because I thought the extra width and length would be necessary since I’d be spending so much time in it.  But now, I’m finding that I really have far more space than I need.  I have 4 shelves and 2 drawers that are essentially vacant, as well as the storage space under the bed, which seems cavernous with just my solar panels in it. 

Now, I know that all of this is a direct result of living in a confined space.  My environment shapes my behavior, and when I return home I can’t be sure if I’ll keep the same practices (sorry about that on the laundry, Jobie!).  In 1845, Thoreau performed an experiment where he build a rugged cabin and lived in the woods for a bit over two years to see what it could teach him about life. In 1847 when he left the shores of Walden Pond, he went back to his “regular” life of writing and surveying.  I suppose that this trip of mine is a bit similar, to see what there is out there and what I can learn when placed in a different environment.   And, so far, with the different surroundings, the new people to talk to, the new vistas to explore, this journey has provided a bit of learning as well.
I've always been accused of a bunch of bull...

5 comments:

  1. This home away from away is very swanky! Go buy a fleece King size blankie!!! Also love your tshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I think Thorton Melon should be correctly credited with the opening quote...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta tell you I've done a 10th of the amount of laundry I usually do with you gone. I've done one load of whites one of dark and used 1 towel for a week! 3 loads including sheets in the last 13 days and you know typically I do 2 loads a day. I guess it was all yours (: Also the tp is lasting waaaay longer.....it always seemed to disappear so quickly now I know it was all you(:
    Glad you are learning to live on less. You've always been good at keeping ti simple. We'll have to keep those well learned lessons when you return and I'll keep a few new good habits too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walden - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden
    Thorton Melon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_School

    BTW, I have a picture from 1970 in front of the ax man....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thorton Mellon via Stewie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjJQ0vd3oW4
      :)

      Delete

Thanks for following my blog! If you'd like to comment and you do not have a Google profile, just select "Anonymous" or "Name/URL" in the "Comment As" section.