Monday, April 13, 2015

On to the next stop


A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
--Lao Tzu

Last night at the Giant Redwoods RV and Camp was not quite a peaceful night, but I did get a good night’s sleep.  It was a warmer night than the past several, and after the sounds of barking dogs, a fighting couple, and one or two fireworks (or potentially gun shots?) from the Clampetts who apparently lived behind the RV park, I was able to get to sleep.  This morning I woke up at 6:30am, logged on to the painfully slow Internet in the park, and found a Starbucks that was only 26 miles away in Fortuna.  My blood was starting to question when it would get its next fix of caffeine, so I packed up my van and got ready to head out.    As I was packing up, Gene poked his graying head out from his RV next door and wished me a safe trip.  He said that he was making progress on “spring cleaning” his coach and getting ready to start driving to Seattle as well.  He thought it would only take him one more week to get everything ready for their RV to be on the move again.  I wished him well, told my quivering veins that their sweet, sweet dose of Starbucks was coming soon, and set out on my way.

As I exited the park, I turned left on Highway 254 and drove the remaining 15 miles of the Avenue of the Giants.  Again, it is quite a magical drive.  There actually are a variety of trees in the redwood forest.  Of course there are the giants, with their singular statuesque dark trunks and broad branches that jut out at near right angles. But there also is another variety of tree that has multiple, much thinner trunks that seem to explode from a single spot.  It is not quite as tall as the redwoods, but it sprays out bright green leaves that seem to glow when the sunlight drifts down and lands on them.  They appear to look like lanterns through the forest. (I have a picture of these on my previous day’s blog).  I haven’t found the name of them yet, but will be trying to identify them as I go along.  Along the road, I also passed a few more of the tourist stops:  the Eternal Tree House, the Immortal Tree, and for some strange reason, the Corn Shack as well.   Their faded signs shouted out to me like hawkers at a carnival as I drove past, and I just smiled at them and continued on.

The Avenue of the Giants ended near Stafford, CA and spilled me back onto 101.  As I gradually increased speed and merged onto the highway, a friendly sign indicated that Fortuna was only 13 miles away—less than a quarter hour to Starbucks!   I exited the highway, found the iconic green circle with the mermaid, and parked my van.  As I pushed through the doors, I thought how comforting it was to be in familiar surroundings.  A friendly barista smiled at me as I walked in and asked what she could get started for me.  Today it was a grande iced caramel coffee with whipped cream—a favorite bargain on the menu since it is one of the items upon which my Starbucks gold card gives free refills.  I found a comfortable table in the corner near a power outlet, and sat down to enjoy my drink and get connected to the refreshingly fast wireless Internet. 

As I was sipping and surfing, several nicely dressed gray-haired people trickled in.  They all begin chatting as they were waiting for their drinks, and one-by-one they occupied a large table in the center of the shop.  Much like in Cloverdale, this appeared to be a regular social gathering for them.  I got to eavesdrop on a woman’s quest to buy a new house, chatter about a granddaughter that had just completed a dance audition, and one gentleman’s excitement about how he had discovered the benefit of putting photos on a new-fangled device called a thumb drive (I was tempted to ask him if he’d heard of iCloud).  As I was entertaining myself with the eavesdropping, a man in sandals that was perhaps a few years younger than me and carrying a thin laptop asked if the table next to me was occupied.  I told him that it wasn’t and he sat down.  I had my next target for conversation.

I commented on what a great morning it was outside, and he agreed. He said that he had come here to get a little studying done.  I asked him what he was studying, and he indicated he was taking some science classes.  He noticed my laptop open and asked what I was working on.  I told him that I was traveling the country and writing blogs about it.  “Wow—that’s cool!” he responded.  “Where are you from?”  I told him I started this trip near the San Luis Obispo area.  He looked surprised and replied, “Really?  I used to life guard at a pool down there.”
“Sinsheimer pool?” I asked, amused at how small the world can be.
“Yah, I used to work with a lady named Robyn when she ran the program there.”
I also used to work with Robyn when I was coaching Master’s swimming at Sinsheimer in college.   I told him that I knew her as well, and that I as well used to work there when she was running the program.   We were amazed at the coincidence, and chatted a few more minutes before he proceeded on with his studying and I went back to writing today’s blog entry.

I finished up my second refill of iced coffee and packed up to leave.  Today I’m heading up the coast to Patrick’s Point State Park in the town of Trinidad.  Two ladies at the Avenue of the Giants Visitor’s Center told me that it was one of the best state parks around, and they gushed about how they would just love to live in Trinidad.  In Fort Bragg, Phyllis gave me her business card and said that at my next state park I should show her card at the ranger booth.  “Tell them that I am your mother and that I spent my life working for California State Parks. They might let you in for free when they see the official seal on my business card!” she had encouraged.

So with my Starbucks sedation completed and the road waiting patiently for me, I’m continuing on this journey, wondering what I might discover ahead.


____________________________________________________

I only have one picture to post today, and I apologize ahead of time for this one. It was just too funny to leave out.  As I was driving down Highway 254, something incredible caught my eye.  I think I discovered the real reason that they call it "Avenue of the Giants."  I imagine there will be another tourist stop at this point in the near future.



4 comments:

  1. Hysterical!!! Giant wood...that might attract many inquiring minds! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for Starbucks!.... Your always a few miles from one eh!
    What fun reading your blogs..... be well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to ask before…..what was the kids name that was studying who worked at Sinsheimer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my blog! If you'd like to comment and you do not have a Google profile, just select "Anonymous" or "Name/URL" in the "Comment As" section.