Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sick, but Still on the Lookout for Gators

There is one consolation in being sick; and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before.
--Henry David Thoreau

I might have had a little bit too much fun in Alabama.  The past couple days I’ve come down with a bit of a cold that has drained a lot of my energy, and I can still fill the sting of the sunburn on my back from when we were on the pier fishing all day long on Tuesday.  But I’ll consider those things part of the payment for the trip, and they really are only minor inconveniences.

Campsite at St. Andrews State Park
I spent last night at St. Andrews State Park, near Panama City, Florida. My camping spot backed right up to the water, and there was a very nice beach not too far away.   Unfortunately, though, by the time I got to the park the combination of the drive and fighting off the cold had sapped any spirit I had for adventuring.  It was about 90 degrees out and very humid which also took away much motivation for moving too much.  So I turned on the air conditioner in my van and curled up in the back and went to sleep at about 7:00pm.  I woke up briefly at about midnight to booming claps of thunder and brilliant streaks of lightning streaking the sky, which were actually pretty spectacular.  This morning when I woke up, I felt a tad bit better so I took my bike out for a little exploration around the park.  I found a marshy lake with a sign that indicated it was called “Gator Lake,” and that swimming or wading were prohibited, for obvious reasons.  Since I missed out on seeing alligators in Alabama, I was hoping this might provide an opportunity for it.  I parked my bike and walked along a small trail that went through some thick bushes alongside the lake.  There were multiple signs that warned about alligators along the way—this heightened my anticipation and alertness.  I moved tremulously, shuffling my feet on the ground and making noise so that I didn’t startle any alligators and turn myself into a headline. 
Now that looks promising!
The edge of the lake was thick with grass and algae, and at times it was not easy to distinguish where the solid ground under the path ended and the sticky mud by the water began.   My senses tingled and I jumped at every little sound from the underbrush.  At one point, a creature darted out across the path in front of me and I almost jumped three feet into the air before I realized it was just a rabbit.  I calmed myself and ventured further. The path moved away from the edge of the water and wandered through a tangled net of low trees with twisty, curvy branches extending in every direction.  A few feet farther ahead there was another bust of activity from some unseen spot in the lush growth, and I halted, my heart racing.  Again, I was disappointed (relieved?) as I caught sight of a young deer racing away from me. 
I walked through the tropical growth for about 30 minutes, each minute become more relaxed with a declining anticipation of coming across an alligator.  At one point I saw several deer wading about knee-height in the water and I figured if they felt safe wandering around in the water then there likely were not any alligators there.  I walked back to my bike, much less jumpy than when I started, and rode back to my van. 
This guy made me jump like a bunny
I was surprised at how tired I was from the short bit of activity. I think that I am a bit sicker than I let myself believe initially.  I took a brief nap (even though it was only 9:30am), and then went to find out about getting a second night at the campground.  Unfortunately the park was full for tonight, so I headed out drove about 4 hours south on Highway 98 to Keaton Beach, Florida. 


Tonight I’m staying at a little RV park called Old Pavilion RV Campground.  It is not much to talk about, by my van is backed right up to the water and has an incredible view of the Gulf.  When I look out the back windows, it looks like I’m on a boat rather than in a van.  Tomorrow I’m headed to St. Petersburg, as I make my way down to Key West.  Hopefully my cold will be diminished severely by then and I’ll have a more energy to spend on exploring.  And perhaps I’ll find an alligator yet.

Am I in a van or in a boat?

3 comments:

  1. Now your in my neck of the words! I grew up near St Pete! Careful. ...them gators move fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better and next time keep shirt on while fishing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for getting me sick by the way...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my blog! If you'd like to comment and you do not have a Google profile, just select "Anonymous" or "Name/URL" in the "Comment As" section.